New Haven Public Schools
Excellence in Education
School Health Centers
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a School Health Center?
School Health Centers are located in the school and offer an integrative set of services by licensed clinicians that include medical, mental health, and in some schools, dental care to students during the school day who must attend the school AND be enrolled in the SHC.
What services are offered to students:
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of acute injuries and illnesses;
- Well child physical exams and sports physicals;
- Prescribe medications;
- Laboratory testing;
- Chronic disease management (asthma, diabetes, obesity);
- Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Crisis intervention;
- Assessment and diagnosis of mental health conditions;
- Individual, family and group therapy;
- Case management;
- Referral and follow-up for specialty care.
- Fluoride varnish;
- Fillings - by dentist;
How can my child receive services in the SHC?
- Any student who attends a school with a SHC is eligible for services.
- Parents must complete a permission form for their child to receive any SHC or dental services.
- Links to SHC and dental permission forms are on the right (Forms). Please return completed forms to your child’s SHC.
Will the SHC replace my child’s doctor, counselor or dentist?
No. These are additional services available to your child during school hours so your child can stay in school and you don’t need to miss work or bring your child to a provider during school hours. Our clinicians consult with student’s regular providers as needed.
Does it cost anything for these services?
No. Parents will never receive a bill for SHC/dental services. NHPS and/or our partner agencies will, however, bill your child’s health insurance company for eligible services.
NHPS operates 17 school health centers and 9 school dental clinics in partnership with five community partners:
Clifford Beers Guidance Clinic
Cornell Scott Hill Health Center
Fair Haven Community Health Center
New Haven Health Department
Yale New Haven Hospital