In April, We Celebrate Diversity
Arab American Heritage Month
Autism Awareness Month
Other Important Dates to Remember
April 2: World Autism Awareness Day
April 8-9, 2021: Yom HaShoah or Holocaust Remembrance Day
April 8, 2021: Buddha Purnima or Vesak - a Buddhist holiday celebrating Gautama Buddha's life
April 12 to May 12, 2021: Ramadan- the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar.
April15: Jackie Robinson Day first commemorated in 2004
April 16: Emancipation Day - Emancipation Proclamation signed by Abraham Lincoln on this day in 1862
April 21: Rama Navami - a Hindu festival focused on moral reflection and being charitable to others
April 30: El Día de los Ninos - Originating in Mexico, a Latin American tradition to celebrate children
Celebrating Black History Month 2021
Announcement: This year's Theme
****News Release December 2020 ****
SERC Releases Documentary on Connecticut’s Black & Latino Studies Course
View short film, “Making History: The creation of a statewide Black and Latino Course of Studies per CT PA 19-12,” now!
Public Act No, 19-12 Concerning the Inclusion of Black and Latino Studies
The State Education Resource Center (SERC) is leading the development of the comprehensive African American/Black and Puerto Rican/Latino high school course of studies (Connecticut legislation, P.A. 19-12 Sec. 3).
“SERC shall develop a black and Latino studies course. Such course shall be one credit and offered at the high school level. In developing such course, the State Education Resource Center may utilize existing and appropriate public or private materials, personnel and other resources, including, but not limited to, persons and organizations with subject matter expertise in African-American, black, Puerto Rican or Latino studies, and the curriculum materials made available.” SERC has formed an Advisory Committee including members from the CCSS. All public CT high schools are required to offer the course beginning the 2021 school year.
Read the legislation: An Act Concerning the Inclusion of Black and Latino Studies in the Public School
Social Studies Overview
New standards in Social Studies! Download the C3 Framework for free at: http://www.socialstudies.org/C3
In the New Haven Public Schools, the study of social studies and history is vital for students because it provides a means of understanding ourselves and our society in relation to human conditions over time. Real historical understanding requires students to acquire historical thinking skills; to understand and deal with change; to ask questions and locate evidence to support answers; to go beyond the textbook to examine historical records; to compare multiple points of view and gain historical perspective. This study will guide students through decision-making situations and processes while providing a wide range of examples and models of human behavior and achievement.
The New Haven Social Studies curriculum was developed by teams of teachers from across the district working together to determine essential content and skills as well as ‘big ideas’ for historical study – essential questions that raise other important questions, have multiple responses, and serve as guidelines for the curriculum. The “curriculum” ensures that instruction is aligned with standards and assessments by incorporating an inquiry-based approach with research-based instructional strategies drawn from Robert Marzano’s Classroom Instruction that Works (2003). Grade specific teacher teams developed significant tasks aligned with an essential or ‘power’ standard for each teaching unit so that each student across the district would have an equal opportunity to learn.
In developing these tasks and the accompanying instructional strategies and assessments, the curriculum teams were mindful that the individual teacher is the most powerful influence on student learning. Flexibility remains within each unit so that teachers can continue to structure learning and differentiate instruction within a standards based framework. The idea of individual teacher influence on student learning of topic breath and depth is supported by only 65% of a teacher’s time being allotted to the teaching of “marking period” specific significant tasks. This leaves 35% of the teaching and learning time available for teacher-student interest and needs to expand upon and make connections with the scope of study. Teachers are engaged in workshops and scheduled discussion on the use of “interdisciplinary activities”. The social studies curriculum is a living document, designed to respond to the insight and appraisal of its practitioners. Our educational community will grow and our students will succeed if we plan, instruct, assess and reflect on the new curriculum and engage in its evolution together.
Addition websites of interest.