- New Haven City School District
Guidance for Families on How NHPS Will Implement CT Kindergarten Age Requirement
January 12, 2024
This letter is to inform you of a recent change to the state legislation regarding the entry age of kindergarten students, and how the New Haven Public Schools will implement these changes for currently enrolled PreK students and new students to the district.
Public Act 23-208 states, “public schools shall be open to all children five years of age and over who reach age five by September first of each year.” Effective fall of the 2024-2025 school year, a child should attain their fifth birthday on or before September 1 in order to enroll in school. New Haven Public Schools understands the timing of this change creates a number of challenges for families. For this reason the New Haven Public Schools has created the following transition plan.
- If your child turns 5 on or before September 1, 2024, they are eligible for kindergarten and no action is necessary.
- If your child turns 5 after September 1, 2024, and IS currently enrolled in an NHPS PreK 4 Program, they will automatically move on to Kindergarten for the 2024-2025 School Year.
- If your child is NOT enrolled in a New Haven Public Schools PreK program and turns 5 after September 1, 2024 and before January 1, 2025 and you would like them to attend Kindergarten in the fall of 2024, you must:
- Submit a written request for a consultation with our Early Childhood Office to determine eligibility by clicking the following link:
You will hear back from a member of the Early Childhood team within three business days after submission.
- If your child turns 4 after September 1, 2024, and is currently enrolled in an NHPS PreK3 Program, they will automatically move on to PreK4 for the 2024-2025 School Year and enter kindergarten in the fall of 2025.
This law also impacts the age requirements for incoming PreK3 and PreK4 students starting with the 2024-2025 school year:
- If your child turns 4 on or before September 1, they are eligible to enter PreK4
- If your child turns 4 after September 1, they are NOT eligible to enter PreK4
- If your child turns 3 on or before September 1, they are eligible to enter PreK3
- If your child turns 3 after September 1, they are NOT eligible to enter PreK3
The New Haven Public Schools provide high-quality PreK4 experiences through a common research-based curriculum aligned to the CT Early Learning Developmental Standards. We attest that completion of our PreK4 programming and grading criteria meets the developmental readiness assessment required per state guidance for all currently enrolled students to move on to Kindergarten.
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school.
If your child is not currently a student in the district you may call 475-220-1430 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Dr. Madeline Negrón
narrated presentation (English)
narrated presentation (Spanish)