Smile New Haven! Dental Program
New Haven Public Schools runs a dental program called Smile New Haven! It offers students preventive dental services in six schools on a rotating schedule. The dental services are delivered by licensed dental hygienists. Parents will need to complete a permission form for their child to receive dental services.
Our dental director provides clinical support to our hygienists and rotates through our clinics to provide services such as exams, filings, and simple extractions to enrolled students if needed.
Children who have a regular dentist can still receive care in our school dental clinics.
We are not replacing your child’s regular dentist.
DENTAL SERVICES OFFERED AT SHC DENTAL CLINICS:
- Dental examinations and screenings
- Prophylaxis (cleanings)
- Fluoride treatments
- Radiographs (x-rays)
- Assessment, care and referrals for walk-in conditions (loose teeth, injury to tooth, pain, etc.)
- Dental health instruction & education
- Referrals are made for other specialized services
- Fillings and simple extractions (NHPS sites only)
WHAT DO DENTAL SERVICES COST?
New Haven Public Schools will bill your child’s insurance company for eligible services, if applicable.
There is no out-of-pocket cost to parents for these services.
HOW TO ENROLL YOUR CHILD IN SMILE NEW HAVEN!
Dental permission forms can be obtained at your child’s School Health Center or from the Dental Hygienist. Parents must complete one form for each child at that school.
HOW DO SCHOOL DENTAL SERVICES HELP ME AND MY CHILD?
- Little or no missed school time for students
- No missed work time or parents
- No transportation problems
- No language barriers
- Continuity of care
- Better dental health – fewer cavities
Schools with Dental Centers
- John Martinez
NHPS Dental Team:
Tracey Oberg, BS, RDH
Elicia Lupoli, BS, RDH
Fair Haven CHC Dental Team:
Annette Nasiadka, RDH
Irene Maturo, RDH
203-777-7411 x 5834 or 5728
Xinia M. Zeledon, School Dental Coordinator
203-777-7411 x 7411 or 6013
Bishop Woods, Clinton Ave, FAME, Fair Haven, Martinez