Barnard Environmental Magnet School
Grade Levels: Pre K- 8
School Population: approx. 550
Hours: 9:15 AM to 3:30 PM
*full day Prek for 3 and 4 year olds - 7:30am-5:30pm
Click to visit school's web site:
Click to see Barnard's Solar Energy Data!
Click here to visit the Inter District web site!
Barnard Environmental Studies Magnet School's mission is to offer a comprehensive education that provides students with a strong academic foundation for lifelong learning, caring relationships with others, and a passion for environmental stewardship. Environmental studies integrate the curriculum; engage students through challenging, inquiry-based activities; and inspire a sense of wonder that encourages an active pursuit of a sustainable future.
- Environmental Studies Magnet Theme -Nature Studies Classroom Curriculum -School Garden -Outdoor and Nature Field TripsLibrary Power School / Multimedia Library Center (Access to Barnard Nature Center across Ella Grasso Blvd. via the walkway)
- Computer Learning Centers -Library Media Center for Research -Classroom Centers: Publishing of Student Writing, Computer Assisted Instruction
- School Development Program -A Focus on Child Development Theory -School-Wide Planning and Decision Making
- University / Community Partnerships -Yale University, School Development Program -Hospital of Saint Raphael -New Haven Parks Department -Sound School Partnership -Common Ground Partnership
- All-Day Kindergarten
- "Integrated Day" Curriculum Model of Instruction -Science & Social Studies-based Thematic Units -Cooperative Learning -22 Student Average Class Size -Critical & Creative Thinking Skills