New Haven Public Schools
Excellence in Education
Early Childhood Education - Pre-K
Do you have a 3 or 4 year old in need of a preschool experience? Do you live in New Haven? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then apply now! Please see program options below:
- Head Start is open to 3 & 4 year olds and requires you meet income eligibility driven by the federal poverty guidelines. Head Start is a free program for those who qualify. Our NHPS Head start program provides school-day (6 hours) programming at the following schools: Benjamin Jepson, Dr. Reginald Mayo Early Learning Center, Fair Haven, John S. Martinez, Lincoln Bassett, and Truman. For more information contact Esther Pinckney at firstname.lastname@example.org or (475) 220-1462.
- School Readiness is open to all 3 & 4 year olds regardless of income. School Readiness does utilize a sliding fee scale based on family income. Our NHPS School Readiness program provides school-day (6 hours) programming at the following schools: Augusta Lewis Troup, Columbus Family, East Rock, Nathan Hale and Hill Central Music Academy. Our NHPS School Readiness program also provides part-day (3-4 hours) programming at the following schools: East Rock and Nathan Hale. There is no fee for part-day programming. For more information contact Paul Lepri at email@example.com or (475) 220-1482.
Please note preschoolers are required to wear masks.
Click on the link below and apply online now!
Early Childhood Education Program Application English
Early Childhood Education Program Application Spanish
Mask wearing for Young Children English
Mask wearing for Young Children Spanish
Proof of residency in New Haven:
- A copy of the current mortgage statement or original lease agreement for your New Haven residence.
- One current utility bill (within the last 60 days) for your New Haven residence (UI, gas, cable, water).
- If you are not listed on a lease you must have a notarized residency affidavit completed: Residency Affidavit (English) Residency Affidavit (Spanish)
Residency Affidavit (English)
Residency Affidavit (Spanish)
Director of Early Learning Programs
54 Meadow St
New Haven, CT 06519