New Haven Public Schools
Excellence in Education
YFCE Resources for Families
Emergency Rental Assistance for Connecticut’s Economy-
Acting through the Department of Housing (DOH), the State of Connecticut is developing the UniteCT Program. This $235million program will provide rental and utility payment assistance to qualified Connecticut households financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The intention of UniteCT is to help stabilize Connecticut’s Rental Housing Market.
Youth Family and Community Engagement Resources for NHPS Families visit here: https://www.nhps.net/Page/871
Community Resources for Families
1. FAMILY HELP HOT LINE: (475) 220-1900
This line was created to connect families with community collaborators providing them services.
2. HOMEWORK HELPLINE: The Homework Helpline was created to provide support to your students if they are having difficulties with their homework. It will serve K-12 students and families. The program begins on Thursday, October 25, 2021. It will be available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM. If you need any assistance with homework, please visit:
Students have to sign into the link above with their NHPS account. They can use Google Chrome on a Mac or PC as long as they are logged into Chrome with their school's NHPS account information.
3. Technology and Other Support for Families:
• Issues related to classwork, reach out to the teacher and the school.
• For Google Classroom, Google Meets, Google Password reset, or related applications - Make an appointment for assistance at http://familyhelp.live
• For all other matters, contact the Family Support Call Center at 475-220-1900 leave a message and someone will return your call within 24 hours.
• We also encourage parents to visit nhps.net for the most up to date information, school calendar and District Headlines.
4. Comcast Internet Essentials
We know that many families depend on the Internet, whether for school or at home. We are excited to inform you that you may qualify for 12 months of FREE Internet Essentials service based on the information you provided us in the survey.
If you are interested in obtaining the service, please contact your child/ren school and they will provide you with the Voucher Code to use in your application.
5. New Haven Public Schools Family Support Call Center (FSCC):
The New Haven Public Schools Family Support Call Center (FSCC) was created to assist families and students with basic information regarding technology, Comcast Internet Essentials, homework assistance, food assistance etc., The FSCC staff retrieves every message and responds back within 24 hours. The staff assists the families and students directly or by referring them to the proper person, school and/or department. If a parent or student has a question or concern they may call, “ The Family Support Hotline “ at 475-220-1900.
6. What is eduroam and how to get WI-FI access:
Eduroam is an official wireless hotspot network now being offered by the New Haven Public Schools for students and staff to use on personal and school assigned devices for off campus distance learning. It allows for greater connectivity to many more wireless hotspots as part of a global federation of Wi-Fi hotspots. The Eduroam network provides students and staff with wireless access at any participating institution - there are many participating locations in the New England area as well as across the United States and internationally. Once setup you will automatically be joined to an eduroam wireless hotspot where available. Yale for example has many locations in the City of New Haven and once setup students can access Wi-Fi near any one of their locations. The New Haven Public Library is also working to offer Eduroam Wi-Fi hotpot connectivity.
Eduroam provides simple, easy, secure connectivity from thousands of hotspots across more than 100 countries. More than 10,000 Eduroam hotspots are available at universities, research centers, academies, many schools, and other research and education institutions in more than 100 territories around the world. As Eduroam grows, more and more hotspots are appearing in additional places such as libraries, museums and public spaces such as railway stations and coffee shops.
Simple, Easy, Secure eduroam Video
New Haven Public School’s staff and student setup and login instructions:
1. Go into the settings area to connect to a wireless network on your device. Interactive map of eduroam locations
2. Wherever you see ‘eduroam’ broadcasted by an eduroam partnering institution, it will appear in the list of Wi-Fi networks. You simply select it and proceed to login.
3. Enter your New Haven login and password – you must use your @new-haven.k12.ct.us email address. If you do not know your login or password information, contact your school.
School sites with external Wi-Fi hotspots:
The district has installed external wireless access points on the below listed schools. Many of the homes surrounding these schools can access the service at approximately two and half blocks; this may differ depending on many factors that could affect the penetration levels. Students have unlimited bandwidth when they login with their NHPS credentials. NHPS Students and staff must select the eduroam network to connect under Wi-Fi settings on their device and login using their username @new-haven.k12.ct.us login and password. Please Note – @nhps.net will not work to login and use the eduroam network.
External Wi-Fi School Sites:
• Betsy Ross
• Hill Central
• King Robinson
• Hill house
7. Adult Education Programs for High School Diploma and English for English Language Learners:
Do you or someone you know want to return to school to receive your High School Diploma, improve your English or receive your Citizenship?
Registration is open now at the New Haven Adult and Continuing Education Center for on-line classes. Chromebooks available to borrow for registered students, first come. First, serve basis.
Please visit our website at: www.nhaec.org to register for classes which include: High School Credit (day & evening classes), GED, ESOL, and Citizenship.
Classes are FREE for New Haven residents.
If you need support registering or have questions, please call: 475.220.8220.
8. Rental Assistance
Junta's Utility assistance program: JUNTA Utility Assistance Application
Junta's Rental assistance program: Pay Rent Fund Application / Solicitud de Fondo Pa’ Pagar La Renta
Rental Assistance: https://www.ctfairhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/DOH-TRHAP-FAQs-Updated-October-2020.pdf
Eviction moratoriums: https://www.ctfairhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/State-and-Federal-Eviction-Bans-English-Spanish.pdf
“Are you a tenant at risk of eviction or a homeowner at risk of foreclosure?
Are you a landlord with tenants with delinquent rent due to loss of income due to Covid-19?
If you have become delinquent in your rent or mortgage payments due to an income disruption due to COVID 19, the City of New Haven through the Livable City Initiative has resources that could assist you with back rent or mortgage payments and mediation with your landlord or mortgage holder.
Please email your contact information to email@example.com or call 203-946-7090 requesting information on the CASTLE program.“