New Haven Public School district views the school setting as having the following eight inter-connected components that contribute to students' health and well-being:
1. Comprehensive Health Education
- Positive impact on student health, behavior, and academic success!
2. Physical Education and Physical Activity
- Integrated daily in the classroom, gym, and through after school programs. Promotes physical and emotional health, improves social skills, and increases capacity for academic learning.
3. Physical Health Services
- Address the health and safety of students through the application of state statutes and mandates, and provide educational and counseling opportunities for promoting and maintaining individual, family, and community health.
4. Behavioral Health Services
- Quality care is provided by school counselors and psychologists. Not only do these services improve the health and well-being of the student, but can greatly contribute to the overall school environment.
5. Nutrition and Food Services
- Provide delicious, healthy whole foods while minimizing highly processed foods giving students the energy they need to succeed and focus in class throught the day.
6. Healthy, Safe, and Positive School Environment
- Includes the physical and aesthetic surroundings.
7. Youth, Family and Community Involvement
- NHPS encourages parents to be part of the school and get involved!
8. Staff Health Promotion
-NHPS offers employee wellness programs to support the health and wellness of staff members and encourages staff to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Individually, each of these components can contribute to students' health and well-being. However, when all of the individual components work together to support the adoption of health-enhancing behaviors, students' health and learning are improved.