Hillhouse Football to play for State Championship.

        Despite the Hillhouse football team holding a two-touchdown lead, pesky and feisty Gilbert/Northwestern Regional had an opportunity to creep back into the game late in the third quarter.

The fourth-seeded Yellowjackets drove 42 yards to the Academics’ 8-yard line to begin a 1st-and-goal series with a little over three minutes left in the quarter.

The co-op gained seven yards in three plays but couldn’t sneak into the end zone. On fourth down, Yellowjackets running back Kyle Jones was stuffed at the goal line and No. 8 Hillhouse took over on downs.

The Academics proceeded to drive 99 yards on 12 plays, capped off by senior Taurese Washington’s 18-yard touchdown run that all but sealed the Hillhouse victory. The Academics added another score in the fourth quarter and rolled to a 42-14 victory in the Class M state semifinals Saturday at Municipal Stadium.

Hillhouse (9-3) will face No. 2 New London (10-2) in the championship game this weekend at Rentschler Field.

“I think the biggest thing for our defense, and the real changer of the game, was that goal-line stand when they had the ball 1st-and-goal,” Hillhouse coach Tom Dyer said. “We held them out. We really made some good plays and a real good push up front. Our defensive tackles really came up big. It turned out in our favor, obviously.”

Hillhouse led just 20-14 at halftime, and actually trailed by two points (14-12) in the second quarter. However, right before the intermission, sophomore quarterback Je’Vaughn Moore connected with senior William Glover, who made a shoestring catch, on a 13-yard touchdown pass to put the Academics up at the break.

Moore, who scored on a 3-yard run in the first quarter, completed 7 of 13 passes for 158 yards. Moore added a 42-yard touchdown toss to Glover in the third quarter. Glover also recovered a fumble.

“We had a good week of practice with the passing game,” Moore said. “We attacked and executed very
Article from the New Haven Register